Trademarks types typically fall into the following categories:
- ‘Plain text’ trade mark refers to a mark in ordinary typescript or basic cursive handwriting.
- ‘Fancy’ trade mark refers to a highly-stylised mark.
- ‘Sound’ trade mark is represented by a precise description of the sound, typically including musical notation.
- ‘Scent’ trade mark is represented by a precise verbal description of the scent.
- ‘Shape’ trade mark is represented by a three-dimensional depiction.
- ‘Collective’ trade mark is a mark used or intended to be used by members of an association.